Sunday, August 19, 2007

Relay for Life...

First and foremost, I have to thank each and everyone of you who supported me when I did the Relay for Life. What an incredible event. I raised just shy of $300 for the American Cancer Society thanks to all of you very generous people and I sold 6 luminaries for another $60. I am very proud to say I was a part of the 2007 Relay for Life at the West Ottertail County Fairgrounds in Fergus Falls. It was a great event and I plan to participate again next year and hope to raise even more money.
It was very incredible to see all of the luminaries lit...I heard a few people say they estimated that there were 30,000 luminaries. The white ones designate someone who has lost the battle to cancer and the brown bags designate someone who survived their fight with cancer or are still fighting a courageous battle. Someday I surely hope to see a lot more brown ones than white ones. The luminaries lined the walking path.
Below are just a few pictures from the Relay. Some are ones I took and others are one's my mom's friend Carolee took.
this spelled out hope...


There were a lot of neat designs with the luminaries...including this heart... My good friend and "sister" Sara and I...this was after a LONG night staying up...I think this was taken about 5:30 a.m. as we were starting to help clean up the fairgrounds and our "campsite"
The few sole survivors of the all night event...
from Left to Right: My Aunt Roxanne, my Mom Carrie (Colon Cancer Survivor), my step-sister Sam, Stephanie (mom's friend Carolee's daughter), me, Friend/Sister Sara and Carolee (my mom's friend from High School)
We won the "Best Team Theme" award...we dressed up as pirates and won! We got a traveling trophy and hope to take it home again next year as well!
Thanks again to everyone for their support! I truly appreciate it. I can't wait to participate next year!

Sorry this update has taken me so long to get on here. It's been a crazy few weeks around here!

No comments: